Wrapping Up the Sheathing

IMG_3435

 

 

 

This has been one messy project! We’ve managed to get tar everywhere and even a little on the boat. Now to clarify, the tar is purely to bed the sheathing planks not to be our bottom protection. This is where the next step in the sheathing process comes in: planning and sanding everything down to bare wood.

 

 

 

We matched the port side to starboard and have every plank up except for where the boat stands are. As you can see on the starboard side Garrett’s already started to plane the planks.

BEFORE            AFTER

While Garrett’s planning and sanding I’m filling the one million screw holes with thickened epoxy. Once all holes are covered and the wood sanded down we’ll be ready for real bottom paint. We are thinking, with the help of other’s thoughts, that we’ll do a coat or two of thinned bottom paint to penetrate the planks then finish with 3 to 4 coats of full strength anti-fouling bottom paint.

Before that painting can happen we have to have the yard move the stands. We have about 20 planks on each side still to do.

This has been one hell of a job…especially on Garrett’s back. What good timing!!! For a chiropractor to appear. One nice thing about people knowing where we are is getting to meet all of our followers. We’ve met boatbuilders, doctors, world travelers, new boat owners, and people who know nothing about boats but love to watch Garrett and I work. I, for one, had no idea how many people would be interested in our little-big project! Thank you to all of you for your support. It has been extremely positive and heart warming. Both Garrett and I have never been attached to the internet world so I apologize that we’re often late in responding back to you but I try my best to write back and keep you informed when I can. We are working so hard and are so so close to launching this endeavor. Bottom paint is right around the corner and the water only a little further!

Sheathing Continues

IMG_3138

This is one of those projects that isn’t hard it just takes time….and tar

We’ve completed the starboard side. It took about 3 weeks. 60ish planks below the chine and about another 14 long planks from the waterline to the chine.

There was a minor pause to cut more material but to Garrett’s surprise the lumber is going a lot further than he thought. I wish we counted how many 2×10’s it took to do the starboard side but I’m guessing it was between 10 and 12 boards because Garrett was able to get 6 planks out of a single board. He ripped them length wise into 3 inch pieces then in half to get a 3×3/4 plank.

IMG_3215

We had a little yard fun trying to guess how many planks it would take to get from the aft stand to the transom. It’s only fitting the captain won…

…or was it rigged

It was 21 planks from that last stand back. We’ll continue onto the port side and complete that then fill the screw holes and plane everything down before having the yard move the stands over. We might even paint a square of bottom paint where they’ll move the stands to so we don’t have to have them move them again.

p.s. Notice the chainplates have they’re first bolts!!! That means color is coming 😀