In an attempt to get organized and on the same page a list was created. Garrett’s head is full, too full. How can we relieve some of that pressure? While getting away and distracting ourselves from our monstrous project is nice it doesn’t change the fact that we will inevitably have to return and deal with our problems. Because we are adults. Taking in some advice I think breaking down what’s left to finish Rediviva is a good idea. So looking at the next three to five projects this is what we’ve come up with:
#1 The Engine
#5 Main Interior
Even this can make your head hurt. So the first three things then. Bulwarks and Decking are a want-to slash would-be-nice but also “if we were to do things in order” kind of thing. They both require dry working days (we’d love sunny) and … more wood. Having these things done would make #4 easier. In order to set the boat up to anchor we need a bowsprit, samson posts, windlass, anchor, and rode. The only things we don’t have are the samson posts and the bowsprit which if we had the decking laid first we wouldn’t have to work around them later and the bulwarks would help determine the sheer thus determining the angle of the sprit. All of which we need more wood for. So back to #1 The Engine.
We had to make a sub-list for it’s involved. So far, this list has 15 items. Thankfully, most are just a matter of purchasing said items but building the exhaust elbow and control box and installing the fuel tank are more elaborate. We have a good amount of what’s needed like the shift/throttle lever, wiring, fuel tank, and locust for control box to run the Westerbeastie. Some of the things we need to buy are raw water stainer, starter battery, cables, fuel lines, but most importantly the thrust bearing. Where to even start? Well we just got paid for January’s videos so let’s get the thrust bearing! Not something we want to cheap out on so there goes $262. It’s on its way to Napa! There we go, progress! Visual progress is extremely satisfying but we’ll have to settle for new parts arriving in the mail and pretend it’s Christmas again. “Oooo, a thrust bearing, just what we’ve always wanted” and “Oh, oh a water lift muffler! You shouldn’t have.”
Hopefully we can find a few things at the two marine consignment shops near-ish by. Trick is not to get distracted and buy something less crucial. Although ports would be nice. If there’s a deal to be had we will find it. If it’s not having the money it’s the hunt that can delay projects but that is also part of the fun.
I think I can help Garrett get organized and stay on task. Really work as a team to finish this thing. We’ve decided the engine is priority number one. As our budget allows we’ll move onto the other things. Planking the deck would be a major moral booster so our eyes are pealed for the right wood/craigslist deal. The deck being everywhere wood and the bulwarks planked will make her feel even more “shippy.” Next would be getting her ready to anchor. To be able to drop the hook in the river and spend a night away would be amazing. Finishing the interior is an ongoing thing but we’ll be able to start sleeping aboard soon; now that the forward bunk is in. The interior is more together now than it was when we were living in the boatyard. We need to get a few more boat things checked off the list but I want to start checking things off the make-her-a-home list too. So finishing the interior comes in at #5. It’s weird to feel excited, determined and overloaded all at the same time. I guess it’s just a strange point in the build. We are in the water, floating which is extraordinary but also still very much in the construction stage. She’s a boat but not a sailboat yet. We’ll get there. One step at a time. Thrust bearing is ordered.
Sub-step one in progress.