“We almost weren’t able to complete all the patterns in one day but we pushed on. Racing the sun and coming up with some alternative material we have the remaining 9 pieces in pattern. We used mostly 1/8” mahogany ply which is so beautiful and smells amazing when cut into. It was kind of a fun project. Like putting together a puzzle but you are also creating your pieces. These will be held up to our laminated sections and used to trace out the correct shape for the finished product.
I attempted to take a panoramic picture of the keelson pattern but had no luck. Here’s the best out of the like 20 takes. It’s kind of neat still.
I worked on the stern segments while Garrett worked on the bow parts.
This was really helpful for to me to further comprehend how the keel was going to come together. I can now better envision how these patterns will become 3 dimensional and become the mighty back-bone of our ship. Garrett’s had this boat in his head for a long time and is able to see it laid out and how the construction will make it all come together. I’m learning a little bit more as we go rather than having fully understood what we were doing from when we started. I have more and more ah-ha moments of “Oh! this is how that goes,” it’s really exciting seeing everything unfold.
We’ve set aside all 10 patterns awaiting wood.”